Feel free to schedule an initial consultation by contacting our Chicago Social Security Disability lawyers online today, or by calling our firm directly at 888-529-0600.
How Social Workers Fit In To The SSD Process
In our experience, we have often seen social service professionals performing the following tasks:
- Educating clients about disability benefit programs (SSD, SSI and Medicaid)
- Linking their clients to qualified medical and mental health resources
- Referring their clients to advocates who can help them obtain needed benefits
Of these, the first two can take valuable time from other clients with equally demanding needs. In some cases, performing these first two tasks can actually reduce the change of a client getting a claim quickly approved.
Some additional thoughts on each task include:
- Regarding the first task, education — SSD and SSI are complicated programs. At our law firm, we focus exclusively on Social Security Disability, and we have the experience and knowledge to properly inform and guide clients who need benefits. Every client needs to be taught the proper way to interact with his or her medical providers to both improve his or her treatment and to create strong evidence for his or her SS claim. Decisions have to be made early on in the process as to which Listing of Impairment is key; or which grid regulation may make the claim easier; or whether earlier applications can be opened under the regulations. Decisions may also have to be made about part-time work and impairment-related work expenses. SSI benefits may be reduced if a parent does not know the importance of charging rent to a child living at home. Onset date issues often are critical when a claimant has not worked in the recent past. These are issues we deal with every day and can advise clients and their social workers.
- Regarding the second task, linking —Social Security puts a great deal of significance on a claimant seeing the “right doctors.” As early in the process as possible it is important to decide which are the medical impairments that are going to be most important in the outcome of the application and make certain the claimant is seeing the right doctors for those problems. Also, if the medical provider is not completely documenting a client’s record, it can actually harm the client’s ability to obtain benefits. Jeffrey A. Rabin & Associates, Ltd., knows many of the doctors and medical providers in our area and can advise clients how best to interact with them. We can take on this task with the aim of building a medical record that can withstand the scrutiny of the Social Security Administration.
- Regarding the third task, referrals — This is where the social worker can really help. An experienced Social Security Disability lawyer can make a difference — especially an attorney who is locally based and who knows the medical resources and Social Security Disability system in Chicago. Jeffrey A. Rabin & Associates, Ltd., welcomes inquiries and referrals from social service professionals throughout the Chicago area.
At Jeffrey A. Rabin & Associates, Ltd., we have helped thousands of people in the Chicago, Illinois, area obtain needed SSD and SSI benefits. We want to help your client get the medical care and benefits he or she needs.
Learn More About Social Work And Social Security Disability
Contact Jeffrey A. Rabin & Associates, Ltd., to learn more about the role of the social worker in disability cases, or to refer clients to an experienced legal team.